Language holidays for the over 50s
ELC Eastbourne (formerly Eastbourne School of English) was one of the first schools in the UK to run language courses with an integrated social programme, back in the 1980s. English in Chester, which has recently joined the ELC group, started running their 50+ courses not long after. We therefore feel that we have significant experience in understanding what more mature learners want from a language course.
50+courses at English in Chester and ELC Eastbourne
We have over 30 years’ experience in delivering English language courses for senior (50+) learners. Because we have made these programmes a specialism, many students return year after year to improve their English, enjoy the attractions of Sussex or Chester and meet up with old friends.
Eastbourne and Chester offer two very different but uniquely English destinations:
- Eastbourne, one of the sunniest towns in England, is an ideal location for a language holiday. On the south-coast of England just 90 minutes by train from London, Eastbourne is within easy reach of stunning countryside such as the white cliffs of Beachy Head and Seven Sisters and some of the most important historic sites in the last 1000 years of English history such as Lewes, Hastings and Battle.
- Chester is a heritage city with over 2000 years of history. In the north-west of England close to Manchester and Liverpool, Chester is a a gateway to the gorgeous scenery of north Wales and the Lake District
The 50+ course is specifically designed for over 50s who wish to combine practising their English at a language school with an extensive programme of visits, activities and excursions in the company of like-minded people from around the world.
In the mornings, for 20 lessons (15 hours) per week, you will study English in a multi-national 50+ class at your level. In the afternoons and weekends you will join the dedicated 50+ social programme.
Our 50+courses aim to:
- build your confidence in speaking English
- help you improve your understanding of spoken English
- show you the beautiful South East and North West of England
- introduce you to different aspects of life and culture in the United Kingdom
- guide you around historic towns, villages, castles, parks and gardens
- allow you to meet new people and make new friends