Life changing experiences
Studying English language in the UK for 6 months or more will enable you to make significant progress in your English and get a good understanding of UK life and culture. Not only that, it can be an exciting and life-changing experience! You can make international friends, explore a new country and learn more about yourself. You can also gain the international qualifications and English language skills that will help you in your future.
Study Year Programme
The best option for students wishing to study English language at ELC for 24 weeks or more is our Study Year Programme. It is our most flexible and economic option, allowing you to study on a variety of full-time and intensive courses.
The Study Year Programme is designed to provide a comprehensive language programme which will help you prepare for your future and achieve internationally recognised exam qualifications. You can study on including General English, IELTS, Cambridge English exams and Introduction to Business English.
Your own personal adviser will meet you regularly to plan your personal programme and give ongoing study advice and support.
The Study Year Programme is ideal for highly motivated people who need to:
- develop overall confidence and fluency in English
- communicate effectively in English
- prepare for further academic studies
- use English in their career
- gain internationally recognised qualifications
- develop English for social, academic and work environments
Our minimum age for individuals is 16, but we occasionally accept 15 year olds on the General English course in international classes provided they are part of a group with a group leader.
- classes from Beginner (A1)* to Advanced (C2)
- minimum 24 weeks, start any Monday
- a choice from a wide variety of courses and options
- 1 free exam included from IELTS, FCE, CAE, CPE, LCCI and Language Cert
- 1 free airport transfer on arrival (Gatwick or Heathrow)
- all course books/materials included + e-learning from point of booking to 3 months after course ends
- personal study plan agreed with your personal adviser
- regular monitoring of progress
- use of the Study Centre after lessons
- report and certificate at the end of the programme
*If you are a beginner, please contact us to check if we will have a suitable class. If you are a complete beginner, then we recommend that you take One-to-One lessons.
Although the majority of students on the Study Year Programme by far are aged 16 to 27, it is never too late to take a career break, develop your skills and enhance your career prospects! Some of our older SYP students have been in their 40s and needed to significantly improve their English for a job promotion. Others have taken the SYP as an adventure in retirement.
Course SummaryCurrencyCourse CodeCourse NameStudy Year Programme - 25 Lessons/weekSchool LocationCourse DatesStart Any MondayMaximum Class Size12Minimum Age16Lessons Per Week25Hours Per Week18.75LevelFrom CEFR A1 to CEFR C1+Price
24-33 weeks: £230 per week
34-52 weeks: £215 per weekCourse SummaryCurrencyCourse CodeCourse NameStudy Year Programme - 25 Lessons/weekSchool LocationCourse DatesStart Any MondayMaximum Class Size12Minimum Age16Lessons Per Week25Hours Per Week18.75LevelFrom CEFR A1 to CEFR C1+PriceCourse SummaryCurrencyCourse CodeCourse NameStudy Year Programme - 30 lessons/weekSchool LocationCourse DatesStart Any MondayMaximum Class Size12Minimum Age16Lessons Per Week30Hours Per Week22.50LevelFrom CEFR A1 to CEFR C1+Price
24-33 weeks: £265 per week
34-52 weeks: £250 per weekCourse SummaryCurrencyCourse CodeCourse NameStudy Year Programme - 30 lessons/weekSchool LocationCourse DatesStart Any MondayMaximum Class Size12Minimum Age16Lessons Per Week30Hours Per Week22.50LevelFrom CEFR A1 to CEFR C1+PriceCourse SummaryCurrencyCourse CodeCourse NameStudy Year Programme - 28 Lessons/weekSchool LocationCourse DatesStart Any MondayMaximum Class Size12Minimum Age16Lessons Per Week28Hours Per Week21.00LevelFrom CEFR A1 to CEFR C1Price
24-33 weeks: £230 per week
34-52 weeks: £215 per week
ELC Level Guide
The following table shows the levels we use at ELC.
ELC Level Level Aims C2 Upper-advanced - use English very well in demanding situations
- performance level may be above average native speaker
C1 Advanced - use English well in all but the most demanding situations
- use and understand complex language
B2 Upper-intermediate - use English effectively in all familiar situations
- use more complex English and cope with more demanding situations
B1 Intermediate - use English to express simple ideas and achieve results
- use range of basic language well in most situations
A2 Pre-intermediate - use English in most familiar situations
- use English in a limited way in more difficult situations
A1/A2 Elementary - develop English skills to 'survival' level
- use English only in very familiar situations
A1 Beginner - learn basic vocabulary and structures for simple communication
ELC Exam Guide
Here is an approximate guide of exams at each level.
ELC Level Cambridge IELTS TOEIC GESE Cambridge BULATS C2 Upper advanced CPE 8 - 9 12 90 - 100 C1 Advanced CAE 7 - 8 945 10 - 11 BEC Higher 75 - 89 B2 Upper-intermediate FCE 5 - 6.5 785 7 - 9 BEC Vantage 60 - 74 B1 Intermediate PET 4 - 5 550 5 - 6 BEC Preliminary 40 - 59 A2 Pre-intermediate KET 3225 3 - 4 20 - 39 A1/A2 Elementary 120 1 - 2 0 - 19 A1 Beginner