Study in Safety with ELC schools
As a not-for-profit educational charity, the health, safety and welfare of our staff and students is of paramount importance. In these difficult times, we have been working very hard to make sure that your stay with us is still the rewarding experience that you expect, whilst being as safe as possible.
On your journey from the airport
- We encourage you to arrange a taxi transfer with one of our trusted transfer providers instead of using public transport
- Our taxi transfer providers are putting in their own, enhanced, safety and welfare measures in line with our guidance.
- only 1 passenger in the taxi, unless family members travelling together
- you and the driver wearing face masks
- you will be responsible for carrying your own luggage
At your accommodation
- We are providing guidance and discussing with our homestay hosts how best to keep themselves and their students safe at home.
- We will only be providing single room accommodation, except for family members travelling together.
- Our residential accommodation providers are putting in their own, enhanced, safety and welfare measures in line with our guidance.
- We have measures in place in case you need to self-isolate for 14 days in line with current government guidance.
- We are providing clear guidance for personal hygiene and social distancing for staff and students while in school. Posters are displayed in every classroom explaining this guidance.
- We have increased the frequency and thoroughness of cleaning throughout the day.
- We have installed hand-sanitiser dispensers around the school.
- We are introducing one-way systems and floor markings to aid social distancing.
- As appropriate, staff and students will be encouraged to wear face masks on their journey to and from school, and in communal areas around school.
In your class
- We will be ventilating classrooms as much as possible before, during and after lessons.
- We will use larger classrooms or reduce class sizes to maintain social distancing.
- We will stagger lesson times to reduce the number of people in communal areas at any one time.
- We will test you before arrival so you can go straight to your class on your first day.
- We will give you your own course book and use technology and digital handouts in the classrooms to avoid sharing photocopied handouts.
- If you have to self-isolate, you will still be able to participate in your class’s lessons remotely.
Your social programme
- We will provide a social programme that still enables you to safely meet and make friends with people from other countries, practise your English and explore the UK.
Your health, safety and well-being
- We are providing updated training and guidance for staff in order to provide the best possible support for you.
- You will be able to meet academic or administration staff as necessary, either online or in person with social distancing.
Important points to note
- If you have to self-isolate in Brighton, Chester or Eastbourne you will normally be able to self-isolate in the homestay. If you are in a residence, we have specific self-catering accommodation reserved for this situation and will help with your food arrangements.
- If you take out insurance via the school, it will cover your normal activity, but it will not cover COVID-19 related costs like flight cancellations so you should arrange insurance yourself before leaving your country.
- If you have to stay in the UK longer than planned because of mandatory self-isolation, you will be responsible for the extra costs of accommodation, flights, meals, etc.
- There is no charge for NHS testing or treatment of COVID-19 while visiting the UK.