TERMS & CONDITIONS AT ENROLMENT.
1. In registering with us, a student accepts ELC’s terms and conditions of enrolment
2. A course is defined as the whole period of booking (and may include a combination of different types e.g. General English, IELTS etc)
3. ELC requires a deposit of GBP250 in order to reserve a place on a course. The balance of fees are then due 21 days before the start of the course. If a student books a course less than 21 days before the start of the course, total fees are payable immediately. In the case of visa students, we require full fees before processing and confirming an application.
4. Online applications - Once we have received your order requesting to enrol on a course at ELC, we will normally confirm the booking within 24 hours of receipt of your order (within office hours Monday to Friday 08.30 - 17.30 UK time), provided we have received payment as requested and subject to availability. We strongly advise you to wait for our confirmation of successful booking before making travel arrangements.
Cancellation and Refund Policy
5. Terms given for cancellation periods are based on the school’s normal working hours (ie 08.30 – 17.30 Monday to Friday). If a cancellation request is received outside normal working hours, the notice period will be counted from the next working day.
6. Cancellation before arrival. ELC must receive cancellation in writing by post or email at least 14 days before the start of the course. In the case that 14 days or more notice of cancellation is given, any tuition fees paid will be refunded less the deposit of £250. In the case that less than 14 days’ notice of cancellation is given, any tuition fees paid will be refunded less the deposit of £250 and 1 week’s tuition fees.
7. Cancellation after arrival. Acceptance of an enrolment is made on the understanding that the student will remain for the duration of the course booked for the hours of study booked. Tuition, registration and insurance fees are non-refundable once you have started the course. Group-course tuition fees for cancelled weeks cannot be converted to equivalent 1:1 lessons. Course duration cannot be extended by reducing the number of hours per week studied. Tuition and registration fees are non-transferable.
8. For bookings made ‘at distance’ (eg via our website, by telephone, by email), you have the right to cancel with a full refund of monies paid, without giving a reason, within 14 days (the Cancellation Period) of our confirmation. We must receive your cancellation in writing by post or email within the Cancellation Period. We will not start providing services to you during the Cancellation Period unless you request us to do so in writing. We will refund fees paid within 14 days of the date we receive confirmation from you that you wish to cancel. However, in the case that you have confirmed in writing that you wish us to start providing services within the Cancellation Period, we can charge a reasonable sum for the services based on the proportion of the course undertaken and deduct this from any refund payable.
9. Tuition, registration and insurance fees are non-refundable in the case of late- or non-arrival for the course.
10. If you miss a lesson, regardless of the reason, we cannot give a refund or allow you to take the lesson at another time.
11. Homestay cancellation. In the case that fewer than 7 days’ notice of cancellation of a homestay booking is given, a compensation fee of a percentage of the weekly homestay rate will be charged and must be paid to the homestay (Brighton = 50%; Eastbourne = 100%).If accommodation costs have been paid to ELC, these will be refunded so long as adequate notice has been given, less any irrecoverable expenses (eg homestay compensation). Refunds will only be made for full calendar weeks.
12. Britannia Residence (Brighton): A minimum 4 weeks’ notice in writing must be given to cancel or curtail a booking in the residence. Refunds will only be made for full calendar weeks.
13. Student House: A minimum 4 weeks’ notice in writing must be given to cancel or curtail a booking in the student house. Refunds will only be made for full calendar weeks.
14. Visas: in the case that fees have been paid prior to a visa application which is then refused, those fees will be refunded less any irrecoverable expenses (ie host family compensation, courier letter fees, CAS fee, exam fees). We will need to see a copy of the visa refusal letter in order to provide any refund.
15. It is your responsibility to ensure that you have the correct visa type and appropriate leave to remain in the UK. In the case that we find you do not have appropriate leave to remain, we will terminate your course immediately. In this case tuition and registration fees are non-refundable.
16. In the case of a student applying for a General Student Visa under Tier 4 of the Points-Based System, we will issue a CAS only on the understanding that it is the student’s firm intention to study on the course booked and to complete the attendance requirements.
17. ELC is not liable for:
a. loss of tuition or other ancillary services due to factors outside our control such as acts, events, omission or accidents beyond our reasonable control or the reasonable control of our suppliers, including without limitation war, threat of war, riots, civil disturbances, actual or threatened terrorist activity and its consequences, industrial disputes, natural and nuclear disasters, fire, epidemics, health risks and pandemics, unavoidable and unforeseeable technical problems with transport for reasons beyond our control or that of our suppliers; closed or congested airports or ports, hurricanes and other actual or potential severe weather conditions, flood, and any other similar events
b. for loss of students’ property
No compensation, costs or expenses will be paid by us in these circumstances. Nothing in these terms limits or excludes the liability of either party for death or personal injury resulting from negligence
Conduct & behaviour
18. ELC reserves the right to refuse an enrolment, or in the case of unsatisfactory attendance, work or conduct, to dismiss a student from a course without refund of tuition fees.
19. ELC is not liable for any loss, damage, illness or injury to persons or property, however caused, except where statutory liability applies.
20. On completion of your course you will receive a certificate of attendance if your attendance has been 80% or more.
21. In the case of General Student Visa students, ELC is obliged to inform the UK Border Agency where attendance is unsatisfactory or when a course is curtailed.
22. You are required to be covered by an insurance policy throughout your stay at ELC. This insurance should cover cancellation and curtailment, course fees, medical expenses, personal belongings cover, money, personal liability and personal injury. ELC is not responsible for any problems arising from lack of appropriate insurance on the student’s part.
23. From time-to-time we may take photographs or videos for use in our promotional materials or for marketing purposes. You (or your parent/guardian if you are under 18) must inform us in writing before the course starts if you do not allow us to use such images.
Applicants with Disabilities or Special Educational Needs
24. If you have any physical disability or special educational needs (eg dyslexia), we request that you advise us prior to booking a course so that we can advise you as to the suitability of the course and any reasonable additional support that we may be able to offer.
Students aged 16 and 17 booked on adult courses
25. All courses in our brochure or on our website are aimed at adults. We do accept students aged 16 or 17 on some adult courses (see brochure or course information on our website for details).
26. In the case that a student aged 16 or 17 wishes to book on an adult course, the parent(s) / guardian(s) and student will be required to sign the Application Form that acknowledges acceptance of the school’s terms and conditions and to complete a Parental Agreement form. This form explains some of the legal restrictions that apply to under-18s (in particular with relation to alcohol and tobacco) and some of the school’s rules that apply for us to accept a student aged under 18.
27. In locating and arranging homestay accommodation, ELC acts as an agent introducing course participants to host(s).
28. Homestay accommodation is usually booked and charged in units of 1 calendar week with arrival on the Sunday before the course starts and departure on the Saturday or Sunday after the course ends. Half-board homestay includes breakfast and dinner every day including weekends. (and lunches at weekends in Eastbourne only)
29. Unless otherwise requested, you will be the only student with your native language staying in the homestay.
30. Twin homestay is normally only available for two students travelling together.
31. Unaccompanied students aged under 18 must choose homestay accommodation (single room, half-board). In summer in Eastbourne, unless otherwise requested, and subject to availability, we will normally place a student aged under 18 in a twin room with another student of the same gender and a similar age but different first language.
32. We take our responsibility for the care and safety of all our students very seriously, especially students aged under 18. Therefore, we will try to make sure that in the case of unaccompanied students aged under 18:
- We only provide homestay accommodation (single room, half-board). The student is treated as part of the hosts’ family and they eat together every evening.
- There will always be a responsible adult at home overnight.
- The student will return home by 23.00 Sunday to Thursday and midnight on Friday & Saturday. Our homestays have been asked to contact the school if this rule is broken.
- The student must provide written permission from their parents 1 week beforehand should they wish to stay out overnight or go on an overnight trip.
- We request the parents and student sign a "Parental Agreement"
- The school will inform the parents in the case that the student is not abiding by the agreed terms of the Parental Agreement.
Residence and Student House Accommodation
33. In locating and arranging residential or student house accommodation not owned by the school, ELC acts as an agent introducing course participants to host(s).
34. This accommodation is only available for bookings of complete calendar weeks (Sunday to Sunday) and is charged in units of 1 week.
35. If you take a holiday during your stay and are away, you will still be charged the full rate for the period of absence.
36. Payments must be made to ELC. Full fees must be paid in advance at the time of booking in order to reserve the room for the requested period of time. No student house or residence accommodation will be booked until full fees have been paid.
37. We cannot postpone bookings for the residence or student house if you inform us 28 or fewer days before the arrival date. You are still liable for the fees of your original accommodation booking, if you give us 28 days or fewer notice.
38. For student house accommodation, you will be asked for your credit card details at the time of booking. This is to cover the cost of any breakages or damage to the property up to a maximum of £300.
39. If you lose your key, you will be charged extra to cover the cost of replacement.
40. The minimum age for attendance at the school on our advertised courses is 16. In the case of business, 50+ and teachers courses where the specified minimum age is higher, we reserve the right to accept students who are slightly younger than the advertised minimum age provided they meet the other requirements of such courses. In the case of General English, Summer Vacation, Examination and closed group courses, we reserve the right to accept students who are 15 where they come as part of a group with a leader who will take responsibility for their welfare outside lessons. In such cases we will take additional child protection and safeguarding measures. Applications from students outside the published age limits are treated on a case by case basis.
41. If your English level is not suitable for the course you have booked, we reserve the right to move you onto a different course or to refuse you admission to the school.
42. The Summer Vacation Course in Brighton takes place at our summer centre – ELC Loxdale. All other courses take place in the both schools’ main buildings. On occasion we may use additional premises located near the main schools.
WEBSITE USER TERMS
The ELC website ("the Website") is operated by The English Language Centre (ELC) whose principal office is at 33 Palmeira Mansions, Brighton & Hove, BN3 2GB, England. Please read the following terms and conditions carefully as use of the Website means your acceptance of them.
1 Use of this Website
The content of this Website is owned by or licensed to ELC. You may not copy, reproduce, modify, distribute, republish, display, post or transmit any part of this Website without the permission of ELC. You may not use the Website for any illegal purpose or in any manner inconsistent with these terms. You agree that you are responsible for all messages sent by you to the bulletin boards or chat rooms or for the content of any opinions, comments, articles, photographs, or other materials that you post on this Website. ELC is not responsible for the content of any material posted by third parties and reserves the right, without notice, to remove any content which in our reasonable opinion, is defamatory or constitutes a breach of these terms or is contrary to any law or regulation. You must not use the Website including the bulletin boards or chat rooms for any of the following:
- For fraudulent purposes or in connection with a criminal offence or other unlawful activity;
- To send, state, publish, use or reuse any material which is offensive, abusive, defamatory, indecent, obscene, threatening or illegal or in breach of copyright, trade mark, confidence, privacy or any other rights; or
- To transmit any chain letters, spam letters, or junk email, or participate in mischievous or malicious behaviour which causes or may cause damage, annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety to ELC or any third party.
- You warrant that you own or are authorised to use the copyright and other intellectual property rights in written material, photographs or any other material posted by you on this Website. You agree that by posting content on this Website you are granting ELC permission to display that material on and in relation to the Website and are authorised to grant such permission.
2 Limitation of Liability
This Website should only be used for information purposes. It is not advice and you should not rely on it to make (or refrain from making) any decision or take (or refrain from taking) any action. ELC is not responsible for the Website's accuracy or its fitness for a particular purpose or the reliability of the access to this Website. ELC is not liable for any damages or losses resulting from your use of or inability to use this Website. ELC does not guarantee that this Website is compatible with your equipment, that it will operate free of error or that it is free from computer viruses or any other contaminating computer program. ELC will not be liable for any material on the Website which may be considered profane, defamatory, obscene, indecent or unlawful. ELC undertakes to consider all comments and/or complaints in connection with Website content and, if it deems appropriate, will remove any such material from the Website. Nothing in these terms shall exclude ELC's liability for personal injury or death caused by its negligence.
3 Links to other Sites
This Website contains links to other websites which are not under the control of and are not maintained by ELC. These links are provided for your convenience only and ELC is not responsible for the content or availability of those sites.
4 Intellectual Property
You acknowledge that the copyright, trademarks and all other relevant intellectual property rights (Intellectual Property Rights) subsisting in the Website, including all Intellectual Property Rights in all photographs, videos and all other text and content included on the Website belong to ELC or its licensors. Except as permitted under paragraph 1 of these terms, you may not copy, reproduce, modify, distribute, republish, display, post or transmit any part of the Website without our express permission or do anything else with any content on the Website which will and/or may breach the Intellectual Property Rights subsisting in the Website.
5 Data protection and privacy
6 Termination and changes to the terms
We may suspend or cancel your right to use this Website if you breach any of your obligations under these terms. Termination will not affect either party's rights or liabilities. ELC may change the Website or these terms at any time by posting notice of the changes on this Website. If you use the Website after ELC has posted the changes you will be bound by the new terms. You should therefore ensure that you read the terms each time you use the Website.
7 Governing law and jurisdiction
These terms and your use of this Website are governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales and any disputes will be decided by the English courts.
The Website has security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under our control. The ELC system uses log files that register IP address, date/time, browser type and operating system. We do not use this data other than for administrative purposes. To help us protect your privacy, you should maintain the secrecy of the logon ID and password you may have set up in connection with your participation in any ELC service.
We may occasionally collect information about you in the form of a "cookie" or similar file. This information does not identify you personally but will help us to tailor the Website to match your interests and preferences and might include the type of internet browser or computer operating system you are using and the domain name of the website from which you are linked to the Website. Most internet browsers enable you to erase cookies or receive a warning before a cookie is stored. Please refer to your browser instructions or help screen to learn more about these functions.