A flexible, economic option for students wanting to study for 6+ months
Learning English in England for 6+ months is probably the best way to make the most progress in English and really help you to communicate well in English.
Chester is a wonderful place to study English for 6 months or more. It is a unique heritage city with more than 2000 years of history, many independent shops and cafes, and a vibrant nightlife. Chester is easy to get to - the international airports of Manchester and Liverpool are 40 minutes away, and London is just over 2 hours by train.
Study Year Programme
The Study Year Programme is designed to provide a comprehensive language programme which will help you prepare for your future and achieve internationally recognised exam qualifications.
This programme allows you to study on a wide variety of English in Chester courses, including General English and Exam courses. Your own personal adviser will meet you regularly to plan your personal programme and give ongoing study advice and support.
The Study Year Programme is ideal for highly motivated people who need to:
- develop overall confidence and fluency in English
- communicate effectively in English
- prepare for further academic studies
- use English in their career
- gain internationally recognised qualifications
- develop English for social, academic and work environments
Our minimum age for individuals is 16, but we occasionally accept 15 year olds on the General English course in international classes provided they are part of a group with a group leader.
- classes from Beginner (A1)* to Advanced (C1)
- minimum 24 weeks, start any Monday
- a choice from a wide variety of courses and options
- 1 free exam included from IELTS, FCE, CAE and Language Cert
- 1 free airport transfer on arrival (Manchester or Liverpool)
- all course books/materials included + e-learning from point of booking to 3 months after course ends
- personal study plan agreed with your personal adviser
- regular monitoring of progress
- use of the Study Centre after lessons
- report and certificate at the end of the programme
Course SummaryCurrencyCourse YearCourse CodeCourse NameStudy Year Programme - 28 Lessons/weekSchool LocationCourse DatesStart Any MondayMaximum Class Size12Minimum Age16Lessons Per Week28Hours Per Week21.00LevelFrom CEFR A1 to CEFR C1Price
24-33 weeks: £235 per week
34-52 weeks: £220 per weekCourse SummaryCurrencyCourse YearCourse CodeCourse NameStudy Year Programme - 28 Lessons/weekSchool LocationCourse DatesStart Any MondayMaximum Class Size12Minimum Age16Lessons Per Week28Hours Per Week21.00LevelFrom CEFR A1 to CEFR C1Price
24-33 weeks: £230 per week
34-52 weeks: £215 per week
ELC Level Guide
The following table shows the levels we use at ELC.
ELC Level Level Aims C2 Upper-advanced - use English very well in demanding situations
- performance level may be above average native speaker
C1 Advanced - use English well in all but the most demanding situations
- use and understand complex language
B2 Upper-intermediate - use English effectively in all familiar situations
- use more complex English and cope with more demanding situations
B1 Intermediate - use English to express simple ideas and achieve results
- use range of basic language well in most situations
A2 Pre-intermediate - use English in most familiar situations
- use English in a limited way in more difficult situations
A1/A2 Elementary - develop English skills to 'survival' level
- use English only in very familiar situations
A1 Beginner - learn basic vocabulary and structures for simple communication
ELC Exam Guide
Here is an approximate guide of exams at each level.
ELC Level Cambridge IELTS TOEIC GESE Cambridge BULATS C2 Upper advanced CPE 8 - 9 12 90 - 100 C1 Advanced CAE 7 - 8 945 10 - 11 BEC Higher 75 - 89 B2 Upper-intermediate FCE 5 - 6.5 785 7 - 9 BEC Vantage 60 - 74 B1 Intermediate PET 4 - 5 550 5 - 6 BEC Preliminary 40 - 59 A2 Pre-intermediate KET 3225 3 - 4 20 - 39 A1/A2 Elementary 120 1 - 2 0 - 19 A1 Beginner