Winter in Eastbourne
Widely regarded as the sunniest town in the UK, Eastbourne experiences a huge influx of tourists from all over the world who come to enjoy the sea breeze and the sunny weather. In 2011 Eastbourne topped the sunshine league with 1,962 hours of sunshine. With the emphasis continually placed on its status as a summer seaside resort, it’s not surprising that Eastbourne is overlooked during the winter period!
However Eastbourne still has plenty to offer in the colder months. Winter walks at Beachy Head; shopping in the Eastbourne Street Market or Enterprise Christmas Gift Fair; and theatre, opera and ballet are just a start.
The social programme at ESOE is offers fantastic activities for the students during the winter. November sees the launch of the ESOE Lecture Series where we invite students and staff to talk about a range of interesting subjects. We visit the beautiful Sussex villages, warm our cockles with mulled wine by an open fire and organise weekend trips to Scotland where it’s really cold!
So although Eastbourne is famous for sunshine do not forget about it during the winter as there is still plenty to see and do!!
Highlights from Visit Eastbourne 2013
- Eastbourne Street Market every Wednesday: selling local produce including cheeses; cakes; fruit and vegetables; fish and meat; pies; jewellery; crafts; home ware; children’s toys; garments; gifts and books.
- Aladdin – Eastbourne’s traditional Christmas pantomime for 2013
- Irving Berlin’s “White Christmas” at Royal Hippodrome
- Chiharu Shiota at the Towner Gallery: Other Side, including an exhibition that explores themes of space and architecture.
- Michael Jackson THIS IS IT "The Tribute" at Congress Theatre
- Russian State Ballet & Opera House: The Nutcracker at Congress Theatre
- Enterprise Christmas Gift Fair at Enterprise Shopping Centre
- Stargazing with Eastbourne Astronomical Society at Redoubt Fortress & Military Museum
- Dracula at Devonshire Park Theatre
- +many more events, Visit Eastbourne