This course is designed for students who are either at an early stage in their careers or students who have not yet started working.
The aim of the course is to give you a good general knowledge and understanding of the use of English in business situations. You can choose to study 25 or 30 lessons per week (18.75 or 22.5 hours). There is a core of 25 lessons per week focussed on Business English. If you choose the 30 lesson option, for the extra 5 lessons you will study on one of our electives. For example, if you felt that you need to work more on speaking, you could choose our 'speaking, pronunciation and listening' elective.
Initially, the course focuses primarily on key Business English skills, with an increasing emphasis on integrated exam practice and strategy sessions as it progresses.
You will be introduced to specific business-related skills such as:
- applying for a job (writing CV/resume + covering letter, job interviews)
- conducting and contributing to meetings and negotiations
- giving presentations
- writing reports
- socialising (welcoming visitors and making small talk)
- communicating effectively on the telephone
- corresponding effectively in business (emails, letters and memos)
- understanding inter-cultural differences
The course also prepares you for the Trinity College London Spoken English for Work exam at your level. It is also possible on demand to prepare for the London Chamber of Commerce and Industry English for Business exams - reading and writing papers - at Level 1 and Level 2*.
- full-time intensive exam courses, Monday to Friday, with the exam at the end of the course
- all course books/materials included and e-learning before, during and after the course
- minimum age 16
- regular homework
- regular tutorials to give individual help and study advice
The SEW exam is held on the final Thursday of the course.
If you are planning to study for 24 weeks or more, the Introduction to Business English course can be taken as part of our Study Year Programme.
NB The exam fee is not included in the course fees. Approx. SEW exam fee = £75 - £110 depending on level.
Course Summary Display Currency: Course code Course name Introduction to Business English - 25 Lessons/week School Dates Maximum Class Size 12 Minimum Age 16 Course Duration 4 week Lessons Per Week 25 Hours Per Week 18.75 From Level CEFR B1 To Level CEFR C1+ Price (1-4 weeks) £250.00 per week Course Summary Display Currency: Course code Course name Introduction to Business English - 30 Lessons/week School Dates Maximum Class Size 12 Minimum Age 16 Course Duration 4 week Lessons Per Week 30 Hours Per Week 22.50 From Level CEFR B1 To Level CEFR C1+ Price (1-4 weeks) £282.00 per week
Here is an approximate guide of exams at each level.
ELC Level Cambridge IELTS TOEIC GESE Cambridge BULATS C2 Upper advanced CPE 8 - 9 12 90 - 100 C1 Advanced CAE 7 - 8 945 10 - 11 BEC Higher 75 - 89 B2 Upper-intermediate FCE 5 - 6.5 785 7 - 9 BEC Vantage 60 - 74 B1 Intermediate PET 4 - 5 550 5 - 6 BEC Preliminary 40 - 59 A2 Pre-intermediate KET 3225 3 - 4 20 - 39 A1/A2 Elementary 120 1 - 2 0 - 19 A1 Beginner
The following table shows the levels we use at ELC.
ELC Level Level Aims C2 Upper-advanced - use English very well in demanding situations
- performance level may be above average native speaker
C1 Advanced - use English well in all but the most demanding situations
- use and understand complex language
B2 Upper-intermediate - use English effectively in all familiar situations
- use more complex English and cope with more demanding situations
B1 Intermediate - use English to express simple ideas and achieve results
- use range of basic language well in most situations
A2 Pre-intermediate - use English in most familiar situations
- use English in a limited way in more difficult situations
A1/A2 Elementary - develop English skills to 'survival' level
- use English only in very familiar situations
A1 Beginner - learn basic vocabulary and structures for simple communication