Courses at ELC are primarily aimed at adults aged over 18 but we do welcome students aged 16 and 17. ELC has a responsibility to provide a safe & healthy learning environment for all our students and staff but especially for students under the age of 18 and vulnerable adults. This document describes how we care for students aged under 18 but it should be noted that:
- ELC does not provide 24 hour supervision
- students under the age of 18 will study in classes with adults
- students will travel between homestay and school unsupervised
- students will be unsupervised outside lesson times and the time spent at homestay
- on full-day weekend excursions to other destinations, students will normally have about 2 to 3 hours free time unsupervised for shopping
Before arrival at ELC, we require the parents/guardian and student aged under 18 to sign and send to ELC a "Parental Agreement" to confirm that they understand the systems and rules that we have in place for the welfare of under 18s and the level of supervision that we provide for under 18s. ELC will initially speak to the student about minor breaking of the rules. ELC will inform the parents in the case that the student is regularly not abiding by the agreed terms of the Parental Agreement, or immediately in the case of a serious breaking of the rules.
In the case of students under 18, we normally require that they stay in homestay accommodation. Alternative arrangements where the student will have adult supervision, such as staying with a family friend, will be accepted provided we have written confirmation of the arrangements from the parents at the time of the enrolment. We would not expect individual students aged under 18 to stay unsupervised in a hotel or guest house.
For more details about our child protection and safeguarding, please see